Perhaps it is time to renovate and add some beauty to your home, and so now you are considering updating the floor by using limestone. What a wonderful idea! Limestone comes in many different colours, grains and textures and can be styled in many different ways. From modern contemporary chic to warm, charming and rustic – limestone flooring brings brilliance in ways that other types of floors cannot.
Installing new limestone floors can add a lot of value to your property as well! If you consider your property an investment, limestone floors will undoubtedly add to the resale value of the home. So what do you need to know before installing limestone? Let’s take a look!
– Limestone is a soft stone and requires regular home maintenance. Over time, the floor will start to wear out, and dirt will start to stick easier. Cleaning with a neutral pH cleaning solution and regularly polishing with sealers will increase the longevity of your floor.
– If you forget to add felt pads, the legs of your furniture can easily scratch limestone. We recommend getting professionals to pad your furniture. Often we see that DIY felt pads from the hardware store last just a few weeks. Getting our service will ensure that no accidental scratches will happen!
– Location, location, location! If you want to keep your limestone floor in good shape, choosing the right space is essential. A flooring company with a lot of experience and knowledge (like us!) will advise you to keep limestone out of the bathroom. Limestone doesn’t tolerate frequent moisture very well. Over time you may notice a buildup of limescale, similar to the buildup we find in our kettles. However, the only safe way to remove this lime scale is to grind the stone down and refinish it. A better place to show off that beautiful limestone would be in your foyer, hallways and the living room.
When I find a company, what should I check into?
Finding the right company to install your floor is essential. Stone floors are a speciality! You wouldn’t go to a General Practitioner for an extensive cardiac procedure, so don’t just go to any ole’ floor store for limestone floors! Remember this is an investment! You want to make sure you have found people that have experience with stone floors specifically. The right folks will make sure their staff is up to date on the latest stone floor training, and their equipment will be top notch.
– Don’t be afraid to ask for references and pictures of recent jobs they have accomplished! The right company will have plenty of happy customers to pick from to ask for a review.
– Pick a company that has plenty of experience. You want someone who has seen it all and done it all!
– Ask them about their equipment. We are especially proud of the machines we work with! We use the best cleaning equipment after installation and for deep cleaning jobs. Many people work with portable machines. They have to stop every few minutes, dump out the dirty water and fill them up at the client’s sink. Thankfully we don’t have that inconvenience! We use our van-mounted machine and we brink our own water in tanks.
– Ask about what level of sheen they are aiming to achieve. You may be surprised to hear that you don’t want the highest level of shine for limestone floors! Weird right? Soft stone polished to our shiniest level would be slippery, and it would lose that shine in under 6 months. Instead, we shoot for a high sheen polish that will be easier to clean and maintain. We do this by using diamond encrusted pads with different levels of grit to achieve the right polish and shine.
– Ask if all the tiles from the same batch. Limestone is so unique; if you get tiles from multiple sources, it will be challenging to match it perfectly.
– Ask if the tiles will have a seal. The surface of most limestone tiles has pores. A proper seal assures that the stone will not absorb everything it comes into contact with. Sealed tiles are therefore easier to clean. If the seller you are working with is trying to sell you unsealed tiles, or attempts to charge extra for sealer… it is time to find a more reputable seller!
As always, feel free to ask us any and everything! We love talking shop and making sure our clients are well informed and comfortable with their projects. For more information on our services contact our friendly team on 01223 863632 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Below are some previous articles in our blog that could help you pick the right flooring company to work with!
The best companies are the ones that invest in the best equipment – here’s why! :
Posted in: choosing limestone floor tiles, Limestone cleaning, Limestone floor cleaners, limestone floor specialists Cambridge UK